Super Gold Card
SuperGold Card holders receive free off-peak public bus travel
Current users of the New Zealand Government’s SuperGold Card are entitled to receive free off-peak public bus travel.
The scheme is funded 100% by the Ministry of Social Development
Free travel applies during the following off-peak travel periods:
• Weekdays (Monday - Friday) 9.00am to 3.00pm
• Weekdays (Monday - Friday) from 6.30pm until the end of service, and
• Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays - all day, while services operate.
Tauranga and Western Bay
- Tauranga urban (Bayhopper)
- Katikati/Omokoroa to Tauranga Shopper including Waihi beach (operates Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)
- Rotorua urban (Cityride)
- Murupara to Rotorua (operates Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- Whakatane to Tauranga (morning services)
- Tauranga to Whakatāne, Ōpōtiki and Kawerau (afternoon services)
- Ohope to Whakatane
- Matata to Tauranga
- Potaka to Opotiki
If boarding in the off-peak period
Tauranga and Western Bay
- Katikati to Tauranga Commuter (morning and afternoon services)
- Ōmokoroa to Tauranga Commuter (morning and afternoon services)
- Te Puke to Tauranga Commuter (morning and afternoon services)
- Rotorua to Tauranga (all services on Twin City Express)
- Ruatahunu to Rotorua (operates Fridays, morning service only)
- Opotiki and Kawerau to Whakatane (morning services)
- Whakatane to Opotiki and Kawerau (afternoon services)
- Potaka to Opotiki if boarding before 9 am or after 3 pm
All NZ residents aged 65 years and over and those under 65 years receiving a Veteran's Pension or NZ Superannuation are eligible to receive a Super Gold card.
Call the Super Gold Card Centre on 0800 25 45 65, or visit www.supergold.govt.nz.
Present your SuperGold card to the bus driver when you board.
Any SuperGold passenger with a $0 SuperGold ticket can show the ticket to the driver to transfer onto another off peak urban service – under the same transfer rules and conditions as other passengers. The trips should be registered as a transfer, and a new ticket should not be issued.
Normal transfer rules apply and we can ask the passenger to show their SuperGold card again
The intent of SGC scheme is free “Off Peak” travel, so the rule remains that SGC passengers can not “free-transfer” onto a peak time service.
Customers cannot “Free-transfer” off an urban service onto a rural one.
You will pay the standard fare.
No. Your SuperGold card is to be used by you only.